Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
As our state, nation, and the world continue to adapt to the changing realities in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is our goal to regularly, consistently share changes that may affect your current or future plans to visit us at Custer State Park Resort. Learn more about our enhanced hotel safety procedures in the video above. We're working around the clock to provide you and your loved ones a clean, worry-free stay.
Are all Lodges open for overnight stays?
Yes. All four Custer State Park Resort properties are accepting overnight stays in cabins and lodge rooms.
Did anything change with Checking in & out?
In addition to the safety measures outlined below, we have removed as much collateral as possible from check-in. Our Resort Activity Guides and Tatanka magazines are available by request, or from the Custer State Park Visitor Information Center.
Temporary disposable check-in packets have been implemented.
Due to the additional surface and environmental sanitizing measures that have been implemented within guestrooms, our traditional 3pm check-in time has been temporarily pushed to 4pm.
Early check-in is not available.
Check-out times will be strictly enforced.
Has anything changed in the lodge rooms and cabins?
In-room housekeeping service will not be provided currently.
Additional linens, towels and toiletries are available by contact-free delivery by contacting the Front Desk.
Rigorous cleaning and sanitizing proceedures have been implemented. See below Additional Safety Measures.
Decluttering of guestroom and removal of reusable items from guest rooms including collateral.
Do your guest rooms have mini refrigerators & coffee makers?
Yes. All lodge rooms and cabins have a mini refrigerator or larger. Coffee makers will be in the room or available by request from the Front Desk. Due to nationwide shortages, in-room coffee products are limited.
Have your public spaces, such as your lobby, changed?
See below Additional Safety Measures.
Are your lakes open for swimming?
Yes; all swimming lakes are open.
What are my dining options at Custer State Park Resort?
All four lodge restaurants are operating with dine-in and to-go available; however, service hours may fluctuate, and limited menus have been implemented until regular product deliveries resume. Currently:
- State Game Lodge: Dining Room & Lounge open with standard Hours of Operation. Limited Menus. Breakfast and Lunch Buffets are available on select days only; call direct with questions: 605-255-4541
- Legion Lake Lodge: Dining Room open with standard Hours of Operation. Limited Menus. Call for details: 605-255-4521
- Sylvan Lake Lodge: Dining Room & Lounge open for Dinner (4pm - 8pm). Limited Menu. Continental Breakfast available for purchase, includes coffee. 605-574-2561
- Blue Bell Lodge: Dining Room & Lounge open for Breakfast (8am - 10am) Lunch (11am - 3pm) and Dinner (4pm - 8pm). Chuckwagon Cookout operating nightly. 605-255-4531
Is Blue Bell's nightly Hayride & Chuckwagon Cookout operating?
Yes; as of mid-July, this activity is fully operational. Please note that the ability to social distance yourself is limited on the 45-minute hayride (masks are encouraged but not required. The ride is open-air); picnic tables are spaced out for social distancing at the cookout & evening entertainment. We look forward to hosting you soon. Yee-haw! Reservations Required. 605-255-4531
What other Custer State Park Resort Activities are operating?
All Custer State Park Resort activities are now available.
- Buffalo Safari Tours: Tours are now operating as normal. Masks are encouraged but not required. The jeeps are open-air. Advance Reservations required. 605-255-4388
- Safari Tour/Chuckwagon Cookout Combination: Tours are now operating as normal. Picnic tables are spaced out for social distancing at the cookout & evening entertainment. Masks are encouraged but not required. The jeep tour and the cookout & evening enetertainment take place outdoors. Reservations Required: 605-255-4388
- Trail Rides: Operating as normal. Hours of operation may slightly fluctuate. Advance Reservations Required. 605-255-4700
- Watercraft Rentals: Operating as normal. First-come, first-serve.
Are the Custer State Park Resort General Stores and Gift Shops open?
Yes, with some product limitations and hours of operation changes. Sylvan Lake's General Store is not yet offering made-to-order food services but still offers groceries; and Coolidge General Store is still offering groceries, grab 'n go salads, made-to-order pizzas, specialty coffees, and more. Please check back for updates. Masks have not been mandated by the Governor of South Dakota. Sanitizer stations are available.
Has anything changed with Catering & Events?
Our catering and events team will collaborate with planners to reimagine their events with new meeting set ups, food service protocols, and specific options.
Our Cancellation Policy
Our cancellation policy has been altered to accommodate changes in travel plans. As of March 16, we are offering guests full refunds with 15-days or more notice, for resort reservations that wish to cancel with a check in date of May 31st or earlier. Please note this policy will not cover any new bookings made after May 1, 2020. During these challenging times, we are committed to ensuring a positive experience and flexibility as needed.
Please call 888-875-0001 to cancel or change your reservation.
Additional Safety Measures
Here is a snapshot of just some of the extra measures we are taking to provide a safer environment:
- Additional surface and environmental sanitizing measures within guestrooms, public spaces, dining areas, conference areas and recreation areas with emphasis on common touchpoint surfaces and gathering areas.
- Hand sanitizer stations positioned throughout common gathering areas along with sanitizing wipes available within guestrooms and at dining/conference areas. (When available, based on supply chain.)
- Minimization of select items within guestrooms with increased “by request” availability. You may see fewer items in your room in order to streamline sanitization practices, however, any items that have been removed are always available upon request.
- When able, increased “rest time” of vacant rooms between departures and new arrivals in order to let the air settle and increase the effectiveness of sanitization procedures.
- Modified stayover service of guestrooms in order to maximize social distancing and minimize the need for team members entering your hotel room.
- Signage throughout the hotel and recreational facilities reminding everyone of the importance of practicing social distancing as well as proper hygiene.
- Modified capacity signage at common gathering areas indicating updated capacity expectations for the ability to effectively practice social distancing.
- Addition of social distancing floor spacing signage at common line-up and gathering areas.
- Modification of payment acceptance procedures throughout the property to encourage less overall contact and less potential for cash exchange while facilitating more ease of distancing.
- Modified regulation of recreational amenities to better facilitate social distancing expectations.
- Modified conference and social gathering set-up abilities in order to better facilitate social distancing – regardless of the nature of the event.
- Increased spacing of seating throughout dining areas and lounge areas.
- Minimization of select service items typically kept out and available to guests. These items are always available upon request.
- Updated menu offerings and serving styles for conference and social gatherings which limit common guest touchpoints as well as the need for gathering in close proximity (buffets, stations).
- Added attendee screening guidelines and related assistance provided to conferences and social gatherings.
- Additional PPE in use by team members, front and back-of-house, front and back-of-house, along with additional training on proper use of newly added PPE and retraining on use of prior existing PPE.
- Continual supervisory monitoring of team members regarding health code compliance, use of PPE and hygienic practices (proper handwashing, facial contact and more).
- Clear barriers installed at select common interaction areas.
- Supervisor screening process of team members upon start of work shifts regarding hygiene, use of PPE and potential health concerns.
- If you feel ill, avoid traveling. Book in advance, if possible. Planning ahead will help us ensure the health and safety of you and our staff.
- Limit lobby check-in to one person per group.
- Face masks or coverings are encouraged, but not required.
- Follow social distancing signage noted throughout the building.
- Pool area occupancy varies pending city/state mandates on people per square foot. Check with the front desk on pool availability—playtime reservations may be required.
- Additional social distancing, health, and safety measures will be discussed upon your arrival.
We’ve been following the guidance of the South Dakota Governor's Office and the CDC and will continue to do so. If additional closures or updates are put in place, we will update this page.
Although this is not an ideal situation, it is extremely important to us that we do our part in keeping visitors, guests, and staff safe and away from potential threats that this virus may impose. As always, we are here only because of you – our guest. We know you have a choice, and your confidence and trust in our ability to provide safe and comfortable surroundings is not taken lightly.
For updated South Dakota-specific information regarding COVID-19, visit covid.sd.gov.
Updated: July 31, 2020